Image Widget

Image Widget

Unintended

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Once upon a time, I had a job. Even though I drove 90 miles roundtrip for this job, again, I was happy to have a job. I started slow functioning much like a glorified secretary at first. As Kester, my Austin buddy says, “You know that guy who can get things? Cigarettes, diapers, somebody killed? The guy you mean when you tell your friends ‘don’t worry, I know a guy.’” During this time, I was that guy. Okay, maybe I wasn’t that guy, but I could slip you a package of paper clips and a stack of file folders. Yeah, I got it like that.
It was more like “Can you go make copies? Can you take notes during this meeting? Can you keep track of things that need to be kept track of?” These are the types of requests I would take care of at first. I was learning the ropes...paying my dues as they say...whoever “they” are.

Anyway, after proving that I could use keyboard shortcuts and take decent notes, I began working on a computer software build project. For those who knew me as a wild-eyed, cart-wheelin’, spiked-hair, too-excited youth pastor, thinking of me dressed up in my exquisite business casual while shooting the breeze about .net, .asp, and naming conventions must’ve been hilarious. Of course, once the hilarity wore off, it was probably equally depressing. I’ll admit. It was pretty weird. One minute I’m booking a junior high excursion at Main Event, and the next, I’m booking a flight to another city to coordinate and provide site support for an email migration project.

Anyway, I’m a part of this computer software system build team working my growing, sedentary butt off, when one day I realized, “You know, I’m the only one in this department who can do what I do.” It wasn’t a haughty realization, but a practical one. At the time, no one else knew how to do my job.

I’m tired tonight and listening to a great presentation originally given at ACU Summit 2009 by Dr. Mark Love, so I’ll keep this short. As I reflect upon my church planting ministry up to this point, I must shift away from initiating endeavors similar to my computer system build experience. Church planting ministry must spark reproduction and empower others into ministry. Instead, I have flourished at crafting good things that were dependent on my coordination, energy, and endurance for longevity.

There is much more I should say here to adequately unpack where I’m coming from (and what I am describing for that matter); however, for now, as part of this year’s Lenten journey, I am giving up church planting ministry ideas, activities, and expressions (even the good ones) that require my ongoing leadership and do not encourage, empower, and expect others (especially new leaders emerging from the harvest) to, in turn, return to the ripening fields. For me, this is a tough one, and I appreciate your prayers.

4 contributions:

Anonymous said...

You know I'm praying for that...and praying for that in myself. This is a hard one for me because people don't want to do that for themselves...and I naturally like to do that....so, we're in the same boat! Love you!

Mike said...

Sounds like you are describing "welfare" religion. Christianity can be as difficult as raising children. The object is definately to teach them to bathe/dress themself and set their own alarms, in other words get them off baby food/milk. Religously speaking we have been trained to "give" so that the paid staff can organize/plan, teach, serve, entertain the unpaid members. We should be "giving" to serve the lost/needy. Empowering is what parenting and Christianity is all about! A difficult job! Glad you're taking a break ~

Mike said...

Signed ~ Pam , above

Chris Chappotin said...

It seems to work both ways. You are right in saying "[members] have been trained" to expect and let pastoral staff function in a customer service manner. However, the river runs in both directions. Many pastoral staff (this one included) have been trained to initiate opportunities and/or craft the best ways to offer attractive religious goods and services. It's time to get out of the boat.

Post a Comment