Image Widget

Image Widget

I love my kids, but I need help!

Tuesday, September 1, 2009


As many of you know, Heidi and I became parents to a 3rd child over the summer. Words can not describe my emotions, thoughts, joys, and fears occurring simultaneously as Hudbud experienced life beyond the womb.

Today, I'm reminded that he won't always be a newborn. In fact, he turned one month old a couple days ago, and has already entered the realm of 3-6 month clothing. Furthermore, both of my other children have birthdays this month, and my own rolling over to 32 is but a few months away.

Simply stated, parenting ain't easy. There's much to worry about, much to be sorry for, and much that will not be revealed until it's too late to fix! On the other hand, there is much to celebrate, much to fondly remember, and much to look forward to!

With all that in mind, I wonder how the individualism of our suburban culture affects our parental abilities. In other words, how many of us are bearing the burdens of parenting in isolation secluded from the prayers, resources, hugs, suggestions, and support of others?

In our training with Mission Alive, the following motto is hammered into us domestic missionaries: "No one should church plant alone." Perhaps the same statement holds true for the parent. Whether there are two parents in the same household, two parents sharing responsibilities while living in separate households, or one parent attempting to shepherd their children, perhaps no one should parent alone. Our kids are gifts from the Lord, and gifts are meant to be shared. Maybe we need each other.

I had an hour-long conversation with two parents today: one with children long out of the house, and one with children in elementary school. We brainstormed ideas for connecting with local parents who may be carrying their parenting responsibilities by themselves.


At the beginning of our time together, we conversed introspectively discussing the following question: "As a parent, with what do you need immediate help?" Spawning from this question were sub-questions such as: "How might I discipline my children in productive and formative ways?" "What are the best ways to tackle homework?" "What do my children need in terms of nutrition and exercise?" "How can I encourage my child to spend more time playing outside and less time in front of the television?"

With these questions as primers to the pump, as a parent, with what do you need immediate help? How can I assist you in pursuing the help you desire?

2 contributions:

Tammy said...

How do I give my children a desire to please God?

Bret Wells said...

Tammy,

I don't think that anything can help pass that on to our kids more than them seeing it in us.

Post a Comment